Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Introducing Ficciones

Welcome to Ficciones, a reading challenge dedicated to reading books by Argentinian authors. There has been a lot of focus lately on Argentinian literature. Of the 22 writers on Granta's Best of Young Spanish-Language Novelists, 8 are from Argentina -- more than any other country. Last year, Argentina was the Guest of Honor at the Frankfurt Book Fair. And starting in April, Buenos Aires will begin its reign as the World Book Capital 2011. Never has there been a better opportunity to become familiar with the literature coming out of this amazing country!

The rules of the reading challenge are simple: 
  • All you have to do to participate is to read at least one book by an author from Argentina (either born in Argentina or has spent a significant part of his or her career living in the country).
  • The challenge is meant to focus on reading literature in translation. Thus, books originally written in English do not qualify for this challenge. You should either be reading the books in translation or, if you are fluent in Spanish, you may read them in the original.
  • Fiction, nonfiction or any other genre count. (If you choose to read short stories or poems, then a collection counts as 1 book.)
  • Re-reads are perfectly acceptable, as are books in alternate formats (e-books, audio books etc).
  • Crossovers with other reading challenges are encouraged!
  • The challenge begins on February 15, 2011 and will end on February 14, 2012. However, you can join at anytime. You can also change your level of participation at any time. (See descriptions of participation levels below.)
  • There is no requirement to list your books in advance, but please consider doing so; it will be helpful for others who are considering joining the challenge, but are unsure which books to read.
  • A list of suggested books is included under the "Reading List" tab.
  • You do not have to have a blog to participate.
  • You do not have to post reviews of the books you choose to read, but they are strongly encouraged as a way of building community around the reading of Argentinian literature. Those who choose to share their reviews, may post them under the "Reviews" tab.

Levels of participation:
Tourist: read at least 1 book
Student: read at least 3 books
Expat: read at least 5 books
Porteño/a: read at least 6 books, 1 or more of which must be read in Spanish

To sign up:
Choose your level of participation and then sign up using the Mr. Linky below. If you have a blog, include a link to your blog post about the challenge -- please DO NOT link to your blog's home page.

If you have any problems signing up or any other questions, you can contact me at: jen [at] jenandthepen [dot] com.


15 comments:

  1. I'll sign up at the Porteña level. Still thinking about what to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in! I'm participating at the tourist level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this by accident on Twitter and as I've set myself a Round The World Reading Challenge for this year (http://ourbookreviewsonline.blogspot.com/2011/01/round-world-book-challenge.html) thought I'd try at least one of your suggested Argentinian books. Probably only going to be a Tourist but might make Student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, so I didn't pay attention to what I was linking to when I signed up, so it goes to a review of a book from Afghanistan. Sorry.

    I'll be trying to fall somewhere in the middle. I enjoy Argentinian literature, so I want to do as many as I can. I also hope to do at least one in Spanish. I need the practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day I will go to Argentina. Until then...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please register me for the Tourist level. I'll probably read a book by Aira or Borges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ll try for ex pat I ve read three but only reviewed one this year so nearly there ,sorry late signing up ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Checking in after a long silence: I just finished Angélica Gorodischer's "La noche del inocente"--sadly not, for those reading in English, available in translation, but a captivating, verbally rich fable of an innocent lay brother in a 12th-century Barcelona convent. Recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, I finally signed up and am shooting for porteño status. Very happy to be reading along with you all--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope to manage the student level. I already have two books lined up, Plata Quemada by Ricardo Piglia and El Enigma de Paris by Pablo De Santis. Will look out for another one before the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't care for the De Santis book all that much, Alister, but Piglia's Plata quemada is a total rush--one of my all-time favorite Argentine novels. What a great book you have lined up there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My little piece on The Gaucho Martín Fierro is now properly linked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just read two more books that I'd recommend very highly, both novels about turn of the 20th century (and later) immigrants to Argentina: "El mar que nos trajo," by Griselda Gambaro, and "Arbol de familia," by María Rosa Lojo.

    ReplyDelete